If you are starting to plan your Christmas entertaining these lovely Mediterranean style king prawns wrapped in Kadayif pastry are the perfect recipe. Kadayif is a Greek style of wirey pastry that is used to create both sweet and savoury recipes. The pastry can be found fresh in most Mediterranean delis or specialty food shops. These prawns look so good you could hang them on the Christmas tree!
16/20 fresh king prawns
150 grams fresh Kadayif (shredded pastry, which can be found in any Mediterranean delicacy store)
1 spoonful ghee or butter
Muhammara (walnut capsicum dip)
1 cup of shredded walnuts
1 thick slice of day old bread
1/2 bunch continental parsley
2 pieces garlic
2 pieces shallots
2 spoonfuls Tahini
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Paprika, black pepper, salt
- Peel off the skin and head of prawns, leaving the tail on.
- Gently open the Kadayif pastry, adding liquefied butter and run your fingers through the dough.
- Wrap the pastry around the prawns starting from the top to the bottom (make sure there is only one layer to ensure even cooking of the prawns).
- Place prawns in baking tray and into a preheated oven. Cook 8-10 minutes at 210 degrees in a conventional oven until pastry is golden brown.
- Finely chop shallots, parsley and garlic.
- Mix walnuts, day old bread, shallots, parsley and garlic with a hand blender.
- Add olive oil, tahini, lemon juice and spices. Serve under the prawns.